Are you looking for the best cleansing oil for a clear and nourished complexion? This oil cleanser is packed full of French green clay and spirulina to promote a fresh and youthful face. In partnership with Mountain Rose Herbs, I am excited to share this oil based cleanser that is perfect for those that need a little extra something in there skincare routine.
This is a sponsored post. This means I received product and/or monetary compensation from the company or organization mentioned in this post. This helps to support my blogging efforts and my family. I only partner with brands that I value and respect, and all thoughts and opinions share herein are my own.
Sometimes you need more.
Throughout my adult years, I have often succumbed to the “use what I have” mentality. Perhaps sticking with a routine that needed a change, simply because I had something that I needed to use up. I think I get stuck thinking that I only need one thing to serve one purpose. I have one pair of work boots. I have one raincoat. I have one hat for the cold season and one hat for the warmer season. I have “ones”.
But, especially as I age, I am finding that “one” doesn’t cut it for skincare. Not for me. And this is no more apparent than when I use cleansers. I have milky cleansers, I have my favorite honey cleanser, but there are some days that I need something more. And for those days I have created this oil cleanser formulated with French green clay and spirulina.
Because this oil based cleanser has all the “more” I need.
Why Use an Oil Based Cleanser?
The oil cleansing method benefits those that wear heavy or extended wear makeup, have dry skin, or are prone to break outs (as counter intuitive as it might seem). Cleansing oil loosens makeup, dirt and grime without stripping the skin surface or disrupting the acid mantle of the epidermis. An oil cleanser prevents that dry, taut feeling after use and maximizes the hydration provided by subsequent moisturizers (such as this cream). For those with blemish prone skin, many people experience few breakouts after an initial “purging” period that can last for one to two weeks. I have formulated this oil based cleanser with French green clay and spirulina to help expedite the “purging” timeline and add their own skin loving benefits.
What Is In This Oil Cleanser?
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil makes the best cleansing oil base due to its semi solid at room temperature nature. It scoops easily with the finger and melts beautifully into the skin. This semi solid state of the oil at room temperature allows the clay and the spirulina to stay in suspension and offers a light coconut-y aroma.
- French Green Clay: This light green clay is touted for its ability to “absorb” impurities and toxins from the skin surface, making it an outstanding ingredient in our best cleansing oil recipe.
- Spirulina: The algae is saturated with blue-green pigments that also contain vitamin E, a hydrophillic (attracts moisture) amino acid called tyrosine, and the ultra-protective mineral selenium. Spirulina is an under-used skin loving powerhouse perfect for inclusion to this oil based cleanser.
- Essential Oils: This oil cleanser is the perfect platform from bringing all the benefits of essential oils to your skin. I love the combination of lemon and lavender to brighten and calm both my skin and my spirits. Learn more about essential oil safety here.
How to Use An Oil Cleanser
An oil based cleanser takes the place of more familiar soap based and milky cleansers to deliver excellent results. Using clean fingers, scoop a nickel sized dollop of the cleansing oil and massage over the face in firm circular motions. Wipe the surface oil away with a facial tissue or a cotton square or pad (to avoid clogging your drain with excessive oil), then thoroughly rinse with warm water and a washcloth. It is not necessary from a pH standpoint to use a toner like this homemade version after using an oil based cleanser, but you might like to use one to remove any residual oil left after cleansing. Follow with your favorite moisturizer if necessary.
Best Cleansing Oil Recipe
Coconut Oil Cleanser with French Green Clay & Spirulina
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup French green clay
- 1 tablespoon spirulina powder
- 50 drops essential oil of your choice optional
- In a double boiler, heat the coconut oil until melted. Remove from heat and add the clay, spirulina and optional essential oil. Stir until slightly thickened and cooled and pour into jars. Cool completely before placing lid on the jars.
- Using clean fingers, scoop a nickel sized dollop of the cleansing oil and massage over the face in firm circular motions. Wipe the surface oil away with a facial tissue or a cotton square or pad (to avoid clogging your drain with excessive oil), then thoroughly rinse with warm water and a washcloth. It is not necessary from a pH standpoint to use a toner like this homemade version after using an oil based cleanser, but you might like to use one to remove any residual oil left after cleansing. Follow with your favorite moisturizer if necessary.