Zucchini Relish. The condiment no family ever knew they couldn’t live without!
So you plant your garden and wait with tremendous patience for it to bear its offerings. The first few weeks you pick these tiny, adorable “baby” vegetables because they are just so fresh and inviting, but let’s face it – they are hardly more than a garnish. And then finally, the zucchini, like overnight, spills over with gorgeous deep green fruits. Oh the joys of summer! Prolific zucchini!
But here’s the thing about zucchini. At one time or another there is going to be too much to consume fresh. So you bake zucchini bread, you shred and freeze bags for winter use, you give some to your friends, neighbors and co-workers. And the next day you head back out to the garden and there is MORE waiting for you. What are you going to do with all of this FLIPPING ZUCCHINI?!
I found myself wondering that after 10 days of grilling, roasting, slicing, frying, and layering zucchini. I needed a recipe that would be a hit with my family and trick them into consume vast quantities of the stuff.
Enter Mustardy Zucchini Relish.
The condiment no family ever knew they couldn’t live without! This relish is just a touch sweet, a bit sour and just spicy enough to excite the adults but not offend the kiddos.
Being as this recipe calls for 12 cups of shredded zucchini, it will really put a dent (albeit a temporary dent) in your zucchini bounty. This relish is seriously brat worthy, but is wonderful over slices of grilled chicken and I admittedly (greedily) ate the last of a jar with a handful of corn tortilla chips. It is that good! Really. So make a few batches and give some of the jars as holiday presents. Heck, give the recipient of the jar the recipe too. Think of giving a good zucchini recipe out like a bona fide public service. You’re truly welcome over-run-with-zucchini folks. I am most happy to help!
A Few More Tasty Condiments
Because homemade toppings, sauces, and condiments just taste better!
- Sauerkraut with Fennel & Caraway
- Pickled Figs
- Perfect Salsa
- Wild Weed Pesto
- Cranberry Sauce
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Mustardy Zucchini Relish Recipe
Mustardy Zucchini Relish
- 12 cups zucchini shredded
- 4 cups onion shredded
- 2 Tablespoons sea salt
- ½ cup mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- salt to taste
- Using a box grater, or the shredding attachment of a food processer, shred the zucchini and onions. Set onions aside in the refrigerator.
- Place shredded zucchini in a colander over a large bowl, toss with 2 tsp tablespoons salt and allow to drain in the refrigerator for at least eight hours (or upward of 24 hours).
- After the draining period, discard the drained juices and gently rinse the shredded zucchini. After rinsing, squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Bring mixture to a boil and continue a low boil for about 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is thickened to a relish consistency.
- Ladle into sterilized pint jars, wiping the rim clean and leaving ½ inch head space. Place prepared lids and sterilized rings on jars (finger tight).
- Process in a hot water bath canner for 15 minutes once the water has reached a full boil.
- After processing, carefully remove from canner and allow to cool to room temperature before disturbing. Loosen or remove rings before storing.