This last handmade gift requires a little bit more planning, but is equally easy and fool proof (case in point – made by yours truly, the first time, without fail). Whipped Body Butter with Ginger and Pink Grapefruit is the crown in our Nitty Gritty bath and beauty crown. Positively indulgent and dreamy, this whipped body butter is sure to appease the angriest winter skin with an ample surge of nutrient rich moisture!
Incorporating shea butter and coconut oil, this whipped body butter manages to be incredibly rich and moisturizing without being too greasy. A little bit goes a very long way and leaves skin silky and soft. A bit of extra on the elbow, knees and heels will render your skin cocktail dress ready (though not that I would know –but I am sure that the farm animals have been admiring my lovely skin).
Shea butter: Extremely nourishing , healing, anti-inflammatory, collagen stimulating and even providing some sun protection, this butter in its unrefined form has all the bells and whistles for dry skin needs.
Coconut oil: Soothing and softening, this oil also helps to heal and is readily absorbed by the skin
Ginger essential oil: Perfect for warming and increasing circulation to help achieve a healthy glow.
Pink Grapefruit essential oil: Full of vitamin C to achieve a even skin tone.
Creating a beautiful whipped body butter should serve as a real feather in your DIY skincare cap. The texture will be lighter the longer you whip the oils. Furthermore, the more you whip the greater the final volume of butter. It is advisable to store this cream in a cool place, out of direct sunlight to help maintain the frothy light texture. Because there is no added water, this cream should last 4-6 weeks or longer at room temperature or several months if kept chilled.
- 1lb unrefined shea butter
- 8oz coconut oil
- 2oz sweet almond oil
- 100 drops ginger essential oil
- 30 drops pink grapefruit essential oil
- Place shea butter, coconut oil and sweet almond oil into a heatproof bowl and place over a small pot of simmering water to create a double boiler.
- Completely melt the three oils and remove from heat. Add your essential oils.
- After the oils are melted, move bowl to the refrigerator to chill for about 2 hours (if using a stand mixer, transfer to the mixer bowl before chilling)
- When the oils are well chilled and just starting to “set back up”, remove from refrigerator and start whipping on high speed. If the oils do not transform from semi-translucent to opaque white almost instantly your oils are not quite col enough and may need to chill longer.
- Beat on high for about 5-7 minutes or until amount triple in volume. Your final yield and texture will depend entirely on how much air you whip into the oils.